Bethlehem Lutheran Church
Sunday Service 10:30am
4th & Ovington Avenues
Brooklyn NY 11209
We began worshiping on Sunday mornings again. As we have been saying all along, the decision to worship in person is an individual decision. Please only consider coming if you are comfortable with an inside gathering of people. The following changes will be in place to minimize health risks.
THE CHURCH ENVIRONMENT:
- Church will be cleaned thoroughly every Friday prior to worship
- In addition to the normal maintenance, our air conditioning system was deep sanitized on July 2nd.
- Cross stickers have been placed on the pews to indicate where to sit. Social distancing protocol was used to make sure all worshipers will be at least 6 feet apart, with the exception that immediate family may sit together. 48 people will fit in the pews, 6 in the balcony and 5 in the choir area.
- Ushers will be in the narthex to move everyone along and direct people with respect to seating.
- All hymnals and bibles have been removed from the pew racks.
- Touchless hand sanitizers have been installed in the rear of the sanctuary on both sides of the entrance/exit.
- Pastor Paul and one worship assistant are the only people allowed in the altar area.
- Bulletins will be distributed with the order of worship. Please remember to take your bulletin with you when you leave.
- The worship service will be abbreviated to decrease the time in the sanctuary (approximately 45 minutes).
- We have been told that singing is an issue, therefore no congregational singing will take place. One verse of each hymn will be played and if available, a soloist will sing from the front.
- No passing of offering plates. They will be placed in the back for you to present your offering as you leave.
- Holy Communion will be celebrated. The Communion preparer will sanitize and use gloves in the preparation. Only Pastor Paul and one Communion assistant will be involved in the distribution. Pastor Paul will sanitize before consecrating the elements. Only one line will approach the altar from the center aisle with 6 feet between communicants. Pastor Paul will drop the host into your cupped hands without touching you. The wine will be distributed by individual cups only. They will be spaced out in the tray, so you only touch the cup you are taking. The communion assistant will ensure this goes smoothly. The pulpit side of the church will be completely communed first, then we will switch to the lectern side, using the same Communion assistant.
- Those uncomfortable with receiving Holy Communion may remain seated or come to the front for a blessing.
- No pastoral greeting at the door to conclude the service.
- The ushers will recess the church beginning with the back rows. All worshipers are asked to go directly through the exit doors without congregating in the narthex.
COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS:
- If you have any virus related symptoms do not attend worship.
- Any worshiper who tests positive after attending a worship service is required to notify Pastor Paul and/or the church office, so that proper notification can be made.
I hope this summary is helpful. Our desire is to make our worship experiences meaningful and safe. If you are not ready to begin attending worship yet, please feel free to reach out to me if you have any prayer concerns that you want mentioned at our service.
We love and care for each of you.